[WWI] Sopwith Pup 1/72 Airfix

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Mon Aug 1 08:41:09 EDT 2011

Waiting for the decals on other project to settle, I have turned once again
to my Airfix Pup.
I reached out in the stash for my other old, unfinished Pup, which I sanded
almost to oblivion many moons ago. I think I have mentioned here that being
inside a polythene bag, the gray plastic had yellowed and became brittle.
Well, it was too fragile to handle and unfortunately I had to put most of
the kit in the garbage bin, except for the wheels, machine gun and
propeller, the rest so badly affected by the "brittles" that they crumbled
as I handled it, including the nice pilot figure and the petite engine. I
can't say why some small parts like the propeller was less affected by this
yellowing.
On the other hand, I kept making experiments on the "starved cow" wings of
the other Airfix Pup: I sprayed the wings with several coats of primer over
the over prominent ribs. This has softened the detail somewhat... wonder if
they would make the parts more like the real covering of the structure. I
guess I'll have to refine a little the trailing edges as I go adding
thickness to the entire upper wing surface. I have masked the inspection
windows and painted the underside as CDL so they could be seen across the
transparent CA glue details, that have a small slice of stretched sprue
representing the inner pulley. They look reasonably well...
D.