[WWI] 11th November

nick hamer hamerthehorrible at live.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 08:40:37 EST 2010

Diego,

"I fart in your general direction!"

I thought only the French did that to English 'kerniggets'. But, if you must, then have some 'Colmans Mustard' before you do, then you fart real mustard gas. You could really breach some armaments treaties if you mix that with some real ale in the diet, or guinness. Just ask the cat who knows when it's a bad time to come looking for some fuss when he can see an ale bottle and a jar of mustard next to Hamer old chap's sandwich for lunch.  In our house the dog is the king ( Queen, actually )of the foul smelling miasma. Then we are all in the garden, including the cats waiting for the all clear siren. The Falklands / Malvinas  well, that's a hot potato, but I am really glad when stories like those of La Bas pop up to throw a spanner in the accepted stereotype that all nations like to invent about those nations they have had a grievious sense of humour failure with in the past. I hope there is a peaceful solution there, but then the International footy fixture may lose some of the 'zest' but maybe that's a good thing.

the Argentinian Army was modeled after the Prussian and German model
> since the last decades of the XIXth century. No wonder they hope that the
> guys in jackboots were the winners!

I always remember seeing pictures of South American dictators years ago, and the uniforms were, as you say er. .  Teutonic. I always remember thinking that the weight of the gold cap badge of huge proportions must have made it hard to keep their heads up during those long parades. I suppose if the Germans had won there could have been a great source of army surplus jackboots going cheap for the Peronist army?

                                                                    Cheers,

                                                                           Nick.