[WWI] Rigging question

Stuart Milliken milliken at psmail.net
Sun Oct 11 21:12:37 EDT 2009

I'm now planning out my first rigging job (1/48 Eduard Nieuport 11).
I've read through all of the rigging articles I can find, but can't
find the answer to one specific question:

When rigging rudder and elevator controls, the forward end of the wire
"disappears" into a hole in the side of the fuselage--no turnbuckle or
other visible attachment point.  So how, then, does one secure this
end of the line after the fuselage is closed, and how does one achieve
any tension on the line?  All I can think of is to attach the line
from the inside of the fuselage prior to joining the fuselage halves,
but that means having all these lines dangling around when I paint the
fuselage.  I've considered trying to make some kind of mini expanding
anchor such as used for putting picture hooks into drywall, but can't
fabricate something small enough that works.  Training ants as riggers
and fitters has met with even less success.

Please, what's the secret?

Stuart