[WWI] "Whiteless" French roundels

Stuart Milliken milliken at psmail.net
Tue Oct 6 23:17:22 EDT 2009

Greetings!  This is my first post to this list, although I've lurked
here for several years now.  I'm building an Eduard Nieuport 11 and am
thinking of using the Jean Navarre color scheme in CDL (or is it pale
yellow, and is there a difference?) with the wide blue-white-red bands
around the fuselage.

My question has to do with the top-side upper wing roundels.  The
Windsock Datafile Special Vol. 1 (Nieuport Fighters by J.M. Bruce)
states on p. 16 under the profile of this plane that the white portion
of the upper roundels were "apparently" omitted.  This is possibly
supported by photograph 24 on the next page.  I'm not wholly convinced
by the photo, since the apparent effect could be due to the low
contrast of the photo and lighting effects.  I've seen other photos of
other planes with light colored wings where one could image the white
missing, but it is probably there.

Was the omission of the white a regular practice, perhaps an effort at
"low viz" markings?  Is there any other evidence that Jean Navarre's
banded Nieuport was missing the white in the upper roundels?

Also, I notice on the above mentioned photo that the blue (forward)
fuselage band appears considerably darker than the blue of the tail
stripe.  The profile nevertheless depicts them as the same.  My
inclination based on this photo is to make the blue of the band a more
royal blue, and go with the grayish blue of the decals for the
national markings.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Stuart