[WWI] Healey museum

David & Jeanne Layton sagittarius_rising at charter.net
Fri Jul 27 09:01:56 EDT 2007

Actually, Healey developed the Austin Healey and was paid licensing fees by
Austin, BMC and British Leyland.  He was a renowned pre-war sports and race
car designer and had the totally cool Healey Silverstone in 1948, so his
name had cache, like Carroll Shelby would in the early '60's.  (Shelby won
LeMans in an Aston Martin before turning the AC Ace into a Ferrari killing
Cobra and turning the Sunbeam Alpine into a Tiger.)  The licensing fees are
cited by some as to why Leyland pulled the plug on the Healey and focused on
Triumph as the 'sports car arm' of Leyland.   (Triumph also built sedans and
wagons, I mean 'estates'.  I would love to have a left hand drive Dolomite
Sprint)  I wonder if the Healey 100 was named after his squadron?

Next time I am at my British car gatherings here in St. Louis, I will ask
some of the senior Healey club guys if they knew Donald Healey was in the
RFC.  (I am a Triumph owner (TR4a  irs).  Compared to the Healey, Jag and
even MG guys, we are the salt-of-the-earth guys, more like 'Wallace &
Gromit' than 'Jeeves and Wooster'.)

  _____