[WWI] Dr.I ailerons

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 03:36:54 EDT 2007

This I very much doubt. I know that during the repeat performance Italian single-engined aircraft were all assymetric in that the half span on one side was slightly greater than the other side of the aircraft to counter the engine torque.

  I cannot imagine how different sized ailerons would assist unless some form of differential control was applied, in which case a larger aileron would prove beneficial in rotating the aircraft against the engine torque. However, I have seen neither of these features.

Nigel Cheffers-Heard <su3264 at eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
  Could it be that with everything being very close to the CofG, there
is very little moment on all the controls, but you still have the
same old amount of torque coming from the motor.
Could also explain "differential" ailerons, but I've never known of
that.

Nigel Cheffers-Heard
su3264 at eclipse.co.uk
0771 261 4514