[WWI] First report: Clear cigarette paper

Douglas R. Jones aeroc at verizon.net
Sun Jul 15 11:59:25 EDT 2007

Andy,
Upon further research you are correct. Celluloid comes from the
compounding of nitrocellulose and camphor. Nitrocellulose is made by
mixing cellulose with nitric acid.Thanks for making me dig a little
further and proving to me again that organic chemistry is not my strong
suit! Actually digging around to figure this stuff out has been an
interesting history lesson as celluloid was apparently patented i9n the
mid 1900 century. It still is fascinating to me that plant fiber is
clear! Oh, the material I was referring to i3 cellophane. Used as a food
wrapper for years but lost favor because of its use for sulfur dioxide
in the manufacture. Apparently, sulfur dioxide is highly polluting.

Doug