[WWI] S.E.5a in Nivo

J. Michael Vice jmikl at cmc.net
Tue Feb 27 16:23:55 EST 2007

There's a photo of the aircraft on p. 378 of Cole and Cheesman's book, "The Air Defence of Britain, 1914-1918," and I believe I've seen it elsewhere, perhaps in Les Rogers's book on British squadron markings or the Albatros book on S.E.5/5a squadrons.  Note that the caption mentions the scheme as having been adopted by No. 61 HD Sqn, then the S.E. was transferred to No. 37 HD Sqn.  The photo also clearly shows the fire extinguisher-style flame dampers at the end of exhausts...