[WWI] Turnbuckles

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 24 09:08:32 EST 2007

Thayer says

>Now I am not a static modeler, so take everything I say with a big grain of
>salt.

I am, and you can take what I say the same way.

>The trick seems to be to add details that are subtle enough to add to the
>overall presentation, yet without demanding your attention enough to
>distract you from the whole.

Bingo.  I have yet to see a turnbuckle modelled realistically in any scale
smaller than 1/24 (and that was marginal)

Even Vaclav's turnbuckles (which you can see here...

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Events/2004_nats_uk/02_allied/02voisin.jpg

...don't look much like turnbuckles and they're about the best I  can
recall.  Giant, flat, etched turnbuckles simply make the model look *less*
realistic to my eyes. However, whatever turns you on is okay by me!

Shane

PS - Of course, realism is nowadays considered the least necessary aspect of
any model.

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

        Quidvis recte factum,
   quanvis humile, praeclarum