[WWI] French blue

Matt Bittner matt.bittner at cox.net
Sat Feb 17 17:06:21 EST 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:51:12 -0500, Dave Calhoun wrote:

> Not sure exactly which French lue Eduard has been using but if you mean the darker blue used on the 1/48 scale Nieuport 17 Profipack decals, then I do not have a good match.  My advice is that this color is not authentic, go with the blue color used on both Blue max and Americal Gryphon decals, this is a perfect match for US Intermediate Blue, FS 35164 which was the same color used for the WW2 navy scheme fuselage side color. Model Master has this in the enamel range, not sure who has it in acrylics but it must be easy to find.

Thanks to all for the help.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if the Intermediate Blue is accurate
for everything.  If you look at the color profiles in the Guynemer and
the Chassard book on Dorme and Guiguet, all show the "brighter" blue.
I wonder if there were two blues, and one was used over another
dependent on time frame, or some other factor.

I've been given one paint to look at, "French Blue" in the Model Master
line.  I'll definitely pick one up just to see how it compares with the
Eduard decals.

Again, thanks for the help!

Matt Bittner