[WWI] Merlin vs Pegasus

J.R. Boye hopeandmercy at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 16 23:34:33 EST 2007

  The Merlin Hansa-Brandenburg W.20 was a pretty decent kit, I agree. very workable.
   Merlin's wings always were annoyingly thicker near the tips. Also the wings were asymetrical on some kits - different rib patterns and aileron dimensions from side to side. Wheels were oval shaped from bad mold alignment.
    The worst one I encountered was the Nieuport 10 - on the edge of unbuildable. Not even good for a scratchbuild pattern. The metal parts were just horrible.
     I built the Sopwith 'Strutter and threw it out when the Roden kit came out. I also put together the Albatros D.IV (with the help of some Roden extra parts) just to have a cool line-up of Albatros fighters, but that was really a poor kit.
     The MS AI is also still in the collection, with lots of working over and all new tail surfaces.
     I never even built the JN 4 - I was saved that ordeal by the Olimp kit !

                                                                       J.R. Boye