[WWI] Will the Aeroclub jig ever return?

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Wed Feb 14 09:59:12 EST 2007

It really is dead easy to make a good jig by cutting and folding
stiff card. I jigged up the Nieuport using old bus tickets which are
fairly stiff card nowadays, by scoring and bending I made a couple of
triangular profiles, with cutouts for the floats, these were glued to
a square of glass with white glue, and thus the floats were locked in
position. Later on I realised I needed more, so I built up some wing
supports with overlays, to lock it all into place. The whole business
didn't take more than an evening, and was a tremendous help in rigging
and assembling. When I was finished with the jig, I ripped it apart and
threw it away, easy come easy go!

I certainly recommend making a jig, either from
Aeroclub or homemade, it doesn't really matter so long as you do it.
Pictures are available on request.
 /Neil C.