[WWI] Trip to France

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 09:16:48 EST 2007

Don't forget, a fortnight after Alcock and Brown, the R34 began the worlds first DOUBLE crossing of the Atlantic. I remember reading in a magazine from the US, the first crossing of the Atlantic, mentioning the Curtiss NC-4, then going on to describe Lindberghs feat. No mention of Alcock and Brown or the R34 at all. The US is as guilty as us in writing a biased view of history.

dave fleming <dave.fleming at dial.pipex.com> wrote:  Quoting Shane Weier
:

> Newsflash: Outside the USA Lindberg is now known only to died in the wool
> aviation fanatics.
>
> His was a marvelous acheivement , but it's a long time ago, and his feat was
>
> never publicised (for example in Australia) as much as it was in his own
> country. What's more, even we aviation fanatics are inclined to remember
> Alcock and Brown's crossing in 1919 over Lindberg's in 1927.

Very true, I remember being surprised by the enthusiasm that greeted Revell's
new kit of his plane amongst US modelers (sp deliberate!)

Dave