[WWI] Trip to France

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Wed Feb 14 03:18:06 EST 2007

Shane:
>Newsflash:   Outside the USA Lindberg is now known only to died in the
wool
>aviation fanatics.

>His was a marvelous acheivement , but it's a long time ago, and his
feat was
>never publicised (for example in Australia) as much as it was in his
own
>country.  What's more, even we aviation fanatics are inclined to
remember
>Alcock and Brown's crossing in 1919 over Lindberg's in 1927.

Only the other day, our minister for education was telling us that
everyone
knows that Lindberg was the first to fly the atlantic. He's probably
never
heard of either the US team commanded by Read in the Curtiss NC4's or
Alcock&Brown.
Or the couple of airships and the Portugese crew who flew the South
Atlantic in
Fairey IIID's (OT!)

And he's probably only heard of Lindberg because of his Swedish
ancestry.
But this all neither here nor there.
/Neil C.