[WWI] RFC/RNAS Queries

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Mon Feb 12 07:19:24 EST 2007

Christopher:
>7) A recent build by Neil Pinchbeck of Revell's S.E.5a
>kit in SAMI v. 12 iss. 12 suggests that cockpit
>interior sides were finished in red oxide primer.  All
>my references for S.E.s and Sopwiths point to
>varnished and often stained wood finishes instead.
>Any ideas on red lead primer?

I don't think this one has been properly answered yet. I think the
red oxide interior is a thing peculiar to silver-doped aircraft fabric.
I've seen it on a few from the twenties and thirties, but not WWI I
think.
Perhaps Neil Pinchbecks build was a silver-doped model?
It has something to do with silver dope being based on red oxide,
and the red shows through on the inside. I think Shane has explained it
at one time, it might be worth trying to wake him up.
/Neil C.