[WWI] vac wings - I think they can be improved - part 2

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Mon Feb 12 03:22:47 EST 2007

Thanks Carlos, for an excellent post, I haven't seen a lot of made-up
vacs, many vacs are bought, but very few are built, so I can't really
comment
on the question of too thin wings. I suspect you are correct that single

surface vacs are too thin. On the only vac I've built (Deperdussin
monoplane)
I skinned the top surface ala Harry Woodman, and used decal strips for
the
lower wing tapes, using the vac wings as blanks. I felt this added just
enough thickness for the Dep wing. Building the Neiuport monoplane I had
an
interesting experience with the wing profile. What looks fairly simple
is
actually quite a complicated shape, and surprisingly thick, I had to
build
up the wing blanks with overlays  of thin plasticard which were then
puttied up.
And this is on an early plane that I've always thought of as
thin-winged!
/Neil C.