[WWI] cutting strips [was re: vac wings]

iban ibancorp at TDS.net
Mon Feb 12 00:10:36 EST 2007

mark, when you're cutting strips of things, as opposed to marking two
parallel lines, the way to avoid waste is to go back to a single blade,
but glue a piece of plastic to the side of the blade that is the
thickness you want your strips, as a spacer.  then, find a thick
straight edge you can use just like a fence on a table saw (i use a
piece of aluminum angle stock clamped beside my cutting surface).  put
the material you're cutting into strips against the fence.  put the
spacer on your blade against the fence.  slice.  remove the strip, put
the cut edge of your stock against the fence again and repeat.  no waste
and perfect identical strips of whatever you're cutting.

iban (keeping generations of screaming scottish genes happy)