[WWI] vac wings - I think they can be improved - part 1

Carlos Carreira carlos.carreira at netcabo.pt
Sat Feb 10 18:07:46 EST 2007

Hi all,

In past threads on the subject I refrained from participating because
although I think most vac wings are too thin and are not very realistic
I didn't have a way to do it better.
Vac wings are excellent to obtain thin and realistic trailing edges, the
problem lies, in my opinion in three points: leading edge, wing tip and
(in some cases) cockpit cut.out.
Nothing like some images...

This are the rib profiles of the LVG C.VI:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/LVG-rib-profile.jpg

And this is the upper wing rib with the Sierra kit plastic superimposed
(in red), at the same scale:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/RealAndPlastic.jpg

 The 1/72 kit is made of 1mm plastic sheet, in scale the wing should be
1,32mm at the highest point. (I didn't take measures from the real, I
assumed the kit had a correct chord). When you sand the plastic "the
normal way" the "sanding line" is the upper surface of the sheet, and
you remain with a profile like this:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/CutPlastic.jpg

And the sanded wing looks like this:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/Wing-sanded.jpg (in
blue the sanded plan)

With this profile you can never achieve a correct wing, IN MY OPINION
because:
1 - The leading edge will remain too pointy;
2 - The back of the cut-out will be too thin (it should be a little more
than the thickness of the rear spar)
3 - The wing tip will be of the same thickness of the rest of the wing,
although the spars are normally like this:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/cacarr1960/SparProfile.jpg

(no wing tip problem for most pre or early war planes like Farmans)

Carlos (more in second part)