[WWI] vac wings - I think they can be improved - part 2
carlos.carreira at netcabo.pt
Sat Feb 10 18:08:15 EST 2007
My solution is to create more volume on the underside with thin balsa
(easily sanded) and cover it with very thin styrene.
I think the images talk for themselves, but I'll add some notes. I glued
the balsa to the underside of the wing with epoxy, and let it dry for a
night. No need to cover all the wing, just the concave part including a
little over the leading edge. Next I sanded (I should have done a
concave sanding block with balsa or so, but I didn't because i was in a
hurry to prove my point) and after that I covered it with 0.1mm styrene.
I got this from the plastic separating cheese slices (the cheese stinks
but my children like it and I'm glad they do!). It is a little thinner
than the thinner evergreen, but of course this one would do.
I used 3M Photo Mount spray; I sprayed both surfaces, waited a minute or
so before joining. I then cut the plastic all around and sanded very
carefully at the perimether. It doesn't add too much to the trailing
edge and I'm satisfied with the result. I plan to mark the ribs with the
double blade trick.
It isn't perfect because I was in a hurry to try it (a little less than
2mm thick at the highest point instead of 1.3) but now I know it can be
done and I'll do like this in all my vacs!
More information about the WWI