[WWI] RFC/RNAS Queries

mikemuth at ptd.net mikemuth at ptd.net
Sat Feb 10 13:55:50 EST 2007

Greetings Chris!
A lot of your questions have been answered, but here's my take on a few:

PC-10 color selections: I vary going from a US Olive Drab (a little too
greenperhaps) to RAF Dark Earth. This has the darker brown color I prefer. I
plan in the future to build an SE5a using Humbrol Chocolate. So often the
planes are referred to as being that color in the period writings that I
figured I'd give it a try. I tried once years ago and it looked OK until I
sprayed on a coat of Gloss from Model Master and totally crazed the paint job ;-((
Tire color: One of my favorite topics for color selections. I have been using
Light Gull gray or any version of "tan". I like the tan because it reminds me
of some of the tires I swear were on my grandfather's old truck. Probably just
a bad memory, but it conforms with the "pink to gray" theory. As for the pink,
don't go with that actual color. It looks too weird. The light tans take on a
pinkish hue to my eye.
French Nieuport 24/27s: I think there is a link on the main web page that Matt
Bittner set up showing the  best matches for the French 5 color camo scheme.
Middlestone is an almost perfect match for the "ochre" that is referenced for
the scheme. I like OD or Fokker Green (Polly Scale) for the dark green. As for
the chestnut brown, I finally decided on WW II French brown. If I ever get
around to updating my page, I did a nice Hanriot in 5 color camo.

Mike Muth