[WWI] RFC/RNAS Queries

Ray B fokkereiv at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 10 13:17:45 EST 2007

I think the tyres have been dealt with by others however here is the
officially designated PC10 Mixture and ts a bit different than your
reference indicated.

These were the officially directed formulations of 1916-1918

To make 100 gallons of PC10 the supposed formula in use in 1916.

250 pounds Nitro-cellulose syrup,
50 Pounds of castor oil
74 pounds of Pigments

the pigments in ounces

640 ounces of Yellow ochre
480 ounces Umber
40 ounces red ochre
24 ounces chinese blue

To this was added 20 Gallons Acetone
15 gallons amyl Acetate
15 Gallons of Benzol
15 gallons of methylated spirit

Now if you look at the colours, yes there is a brownish set of coulrs
all mixed together, but that blue would definately pull it to the
green range of colours.
therefore PC10 is not just yellow ochre mixed with lampblack.

PC12 was similar in chemicals but the pigments were Red iron oxide
and lamp Black. perhaps this is where the black was confused from.

Also the PC10/PC12 dope coat was just part of the finishing system if
you like there were multiple layers of dope, varnish and then the
PC10/PC12 topcoat.

The RNAS were a bit slower in adoptng PC10/PC12 although the colours
were introduced to the RFC  and RNAS in 1916 they were not in general
use until the spring of 1917. Remember the companies that made the
mixtures would not have been dead accurate, so there were a range of
shades, add in weathering and you get a large range of tones and
shades.

Hope that helps.  Oh I used WWI bristish aeroplane Colours and
markings which is a pretty recent reference and used offcial records
for its formulations.

Ray

Models blog
http://sagitariousrising.blogspot.com/