[WWI] vac wings

Joel Christy jbarchristy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 05:05:44 EST 2007

Hi All,

  I almost missed this thread; as I normally only do vacforms and scratch builds I have usually found that one thickness of material suffices for 1/72 scale models. I use 40 thou styrene sheet for most wings but on occasion for bombers or exceedingly lonspan wings I will sandwich a piece of soft flower wire between a 40 thou tickness on top and 20 thou on the bottom.(See IM Vickers Vildebeest build this month) I agrre with Dennis that vacforms like the Rareplanes Gotha hold up extremely well over time; one of mine is at least 16 years old and does not sag or warp with age(unlike me!). I often create my own airfoil on 40 thou wings and have found that the strength created in that process allows me to have unsupported single sheet wings with spans of over 80 scale feet such as the Short Bomber or Curtiss HS2L. All of these are 1/72 scale; 1/48 scale is another kettle of fish. The best publication on all this is of course Harry Woodman's Scale Models Aircraft in Plastic Card;
 my Bible!

  Hope this helps.

  Cheers,

  Joel

Tom Mason <tom.mason at charter.net> wrote:
  Since we are discussing vac wings. Do any of you put a spar in the wings? I
have used plastic in the past for a spar and the wing still warped, which is
common in vac wings, at least in monoplanes. From now on I thought I would
use brass tubing. I know that won't warp.

T.O.M.