[WWI] vac wings

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 18:14:31 EST 2007

>From: "Dennis Ugulano" <djuggie at comcast.net>
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:50:22 -0800
>
>Since I build a lot of vacs,

Gross understatement:)!

>here is my two cents worth.

>    VLE is too thin and I found it hard to work with.

I know you built the Gotha UWD and found it wanting.  In my view, this is
not as nice a vac sheet as VLE has produced in the past.  I have this kit
and it is daunting.

On the other hand, I built the DFW "Mars" biplane version and found the vac
sheet to be of good quality - the kit came out well and has a couple of
victories at different contests under its belt.

>    Six of my builds last year were vacs and I am just finishing up another
>vac as we speak.

"Eyes rolling into back of head".

>    Today we have the wealth of injection mold kits in plastic and resin.
>In the 80's vacs were the only game in town if you did not want to
>scratchbuild.  When Aeroclub and the other aftermarket companies came to
>be, life got easier for us vac people.  Now the Datafiles are coming out,
>my old vacs are looking better all the time.  Most of my early vacs were
>built with almost nothing as reference.

Did you mention how you had to walk to school 50 miles in the snow, uphill
both there and back?:)

>Life is good since I have probably 300 vacs on the shelf.

What type of pantechnicon will you be renting to take this lot to the Nats
this year?  Perhaps you can get Oshkosh to sponsor you!

Michael