[WWI] vac wings

Dennis Ugulano djuggie at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 16:50:22 EST 2007

Since I build a lot of vacs, here is my two cents worth.

    I have found all of the English vacs, Rarepane, Formaplane, Libra, etc,
to be of an excellent thickness.  I used to know the thickness but those
brain cells have died.  Very easy to work with and they are all single
thickness with a single cut for the bottom of the wing.

    VLE is too thin and I found it hard to work with.

    Sierra is good and I tried the double thickness on the Gotha WD-7.  Not
worth the effort for the results.

    A company out of Canada in the 60's was Airframe.  They are as thin as
paper and double thickness is an absolute must.  This company was one of the
first vac companies in the world to the best of my recollection.  They were
just a bare step above scratchbuilding.

    Roseplane wing blanks are the same thickness of the English vacs so I
use them as single thickness wings.  Round stock on top for the ribs and a
single cut for the bottom.

    Six of my builds last year were vacs and I am just finishing up another
vac as we speak.

    Today we have the wealth of injection mold kits in plastic and resin.
In the 80's vacs were the only game in town if you did not want to
scratchbuild.  When Aeroclub and the other aftermarket companies came to be,
life got easier for us vac people.  Now the Datafiles are coming out, my old
vacs are looking better all the time.  Most of my early vacs were built with
almost nothing as reference.  Life is good since I have probably 300 vacs on
the shelf.

Dennis

email:  djuggie(at)comcast(dot)net
http://wwi.priswell.com/
Page Revised 7/8/2006
"Each modeler will rise to their own level
of masochism."