[WWI] Lebedev logo?

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 6 20:41:50 EST 2007

Russian is a declensioned language, like Latin, German, and Finnish.  The
'ev' ending on a word indicates Genitive Plural case.  In other words,
Lebedev would mean "Of the Swans" so it would be, if I have it right,
"Joint-Stock Manufacturing Company Of Aeroplanes, V. A. Lebeds'"  Notice
the word "Vozdukhoplavana" ( of Aeroplanes) is the same case as Lebedev,
but feminine gender.  I think the usage of the plural for Lebed is because
of the joint stock, rather than saying there were a lot of Lebeds in
particular involved.

Mark Shannon
shingend at ix.netcom.com