[WWI] wood grain decals

Chris Savaglio csavaglio at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 10:34:44 EST 2007

The search set came up with something different, but if you search decals
for "wood" they come up.

They look like the nicest wood decals I've seen, but really, I think there
are better ways of going about it.  Everyone here has their own techniques
for producing wood like effects, but mine is this...

Base coat of a tan acrylic, followed by a future (or Klear) coat.  Then I
thin artist's oil paint in the proper color (tan, yellowish tan, grey tan,
reddish brown, brown, etc) with Japan drier slightly.  I use a slightly
stiff raked brush to apply the "grain".  The nice thing with the oils is
that you have plenty of working time, even with the drier.  If you screw up
and don't like the way it looks, with the future coating, you can wipe it
off and have another go.

Chris