[WWI] Old humbrol wasRE: Hernan Meza is out of the office.

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 1 21:28:19 EST 2007

>From a chemistry point of view, there were about three big changes.  The
first is that the Authentics originally had lead in them.  Lead in a paint
does several things, such as making the final film more flexible and
opaque.  It also helps to make the formula brush a bit smoother.

The second major change is that, from what I can tell from the smell, the
Authentics line used thinners like Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK),
2,4-pentanedione, and toluene/xylene.  These are much stronger solvents
than white spirits (petroleum ether, mineral spirits).  They are also a
little less volatile, so the tins could be kept open longer while brush
painting without the paint going bad as quickly.

The third thing is that there started to be a lot of competition for the
"Authentically Matched" types of paints, and Humbrol was taking a lot of
flak for their versions of many colors.  It only made sense that they would
start eliminating the duplicate colors sold in different lines or
Authentics groups.  Once they did that, it made sense to use the
generalized numbered paints.

There had already been many articles that dealt with mixing more accurate
colors from Humbrol paints, and at that point Humbrol was beginning to have
to reformulate to meet various requirements for safety, so I would guess
they decided to go with what we have.  We don't have "the old general
purpose range" actually.  What we have is all reformulated from what had
been either the Authentic or the numbered colors, with duplications dropped
and a more limited variety range.

Unfortunately, the reformulation does not have the exact same properties
because those were based on over a century of development that had to be
thrown out to meet evolving safety requirements.

Mark Shannon
shingend at ix.netcom.com

sets in the 60's you could get German wwii colours etc. They came if I
remember right in sets of 6. You could also buy theem singly. These were
formulated to be accurate and thinner for better airbrushing an brush
painting. However these paints were phased out recently and we have the
older original general purpose range. These were always more for the brush
painter and are a bit thicker. Now I dont usee Humbrol any more since they
phased out the authentic colours. have the older range changed in
formulation??

> I always assumed they were the same as always and work well for brush
painting?

> Models blog
> http://sagitariousrising.blogspot.com/

that is simply fantastic!, the pigment is incredibly fine. Perhaps they
were more oily those days and while they may take longer to dry, you even
can see how the brush strokes simply desappear...