[WWI] 25th Aero Squadron

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 1 13:36:35 EST 2007

While it is hard to use the words "all" meaningfully on WWI aircraft, my
understanding is that all the four-bladed prop versions were 200 hp.
Hispano-Suiza powered.  However, I don't think that all H-S powered Se5a's
had four-blade propellers.  I think the two-blade on the Viper powered was
longer than the Hisso two blade on the Se5, which may have also been used
on the Se5a's.  The thrust lines were different, with the Viper's being
higher, so ground clearance would have been better and a 'full length' prop
could be used.  I think the four-blade was due to ground clearance issues
as the only way to get enough 'bite' on the air to make use of the horse
power.

Mark Shannon
shingend at ix.netcom.com