[WWI] Windsock & Bishop's Nieuport (again!)

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 1 04:59:14 EST 2007

Dave:

> We may be talking at cross purposes - I'm talking about an attachment on the
> Nie 17s with the central Vickers gun - you can see it just above the gun in
> this photo:
>
> http://www.earlyaviator.com/archive/w/images/Nieup17_N1539.jpg
>
> Notice how it lifts the crossover of the wires above the gun

This is not a typical Nieuport 17 installation and may be experimental judging by the large pitot(?) on the port wing. Every other photo I've seen of a 17 with a central Vickers has the wires going down in a 'V' shape - one wire on either side of the gun. The types with 'X' shaped rigging have the gun to the right of the rigging.
I also happened to notice last night that the plans in the Lafayette book have a scrap view of what they call a Nieuport 17C.1 which has the same 'X' shaped rigging of the 23 but without the Vickers so I'm guessing Bishop's must have been a 17C.1.
Andy