[WWI] Airco DH2 Build

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:51:42 EDT 2007

Michael in reply to Stephen

>Don't really know what things looked like in 1918 but museums have various
>shades.

I really hate generalisations but...the following has been posted here
before, and also elsewhere (The Aerodrome) by people more knowledgeable than
I.

As an overarching generality, consider this.

British CDL is whiter, because they had access to as much high quality
bleached linen as they needed

French CDL is yellower, because of the use of fatty varnishes not used by
the British

German CDL is darker because their access to high quality linen was reduced
by blockade

Russian CDL is greyer, allegedly because of poor quality materials or the
fact that it wasn't bleached.

Take it from there - I suspect that British would be pretty consistent at
the time of manufacture because of consistent supply, ditto French. German
supplies became more suspect *but* by then the fabric was usually printed
anyway!

IMO only. And please note that I am not prescribing a particular shade, nor
that it always be so, just a likely starting point

ALSO if the French CDL is coloured by the linseed based varnish, it's not
*really* clear doped, is it?

Shane

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

        Quidvis recte factum,