[WWI] Need model maritime guidance (off topic)

John Ratzenberger JohnRatzenberger at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 21:21:14 EDT 2007

I've seen them a long ways back, my impression is they are on the lower end of the quality scale.
I've built a couple of the Revell clippers & the Constitution, and they make very nice kits.
The only wooden clipper I did was the Billings Boat kit of the Cutty Sark, it was plank on frame.  I also used the "official
plans" from the Cutty Sark in Greenwich and a whole bunch of photos I took of it ...  That was 30 odd years ago.  I  liked the
Revell kits better.  You get the planked hull/deck feel without all the work ...

IMHO, John Ratzenberger

BTW, the kit I have saved for my "last tall ship" is the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
3AIT&viewitem=&item=170104791774&rd=1&rd=1

> Has anyone here ever build one of these old Scientific ships? How do they
> compare to say, the big Revell Constitution or Cutty Sark? What did these
> kits retail for way back when, and what do you think a fair price would
be
> for one today? I'd like to get something in my cheapskate $30 to $40
range,
> of course, but I won't even bother bidding if this is a kit that
typically
> sells for a lot more.
> And I did see a lot of other interesting tall ship models on ebay that
I'd
> consider as well if anyone has a recomendation. On the assumption that
this
> might be the last tall ship model I ever build, I'd like to build
something
> worth the effort so I'm not too interested in the smaller scale ship
models
> out there. And I'm not commited to any particular medium either, though I
am
> set up more for plastic than wood.
> Help!
> E.

> Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft
Office