[WWI] Need model maritime guidance (off topic)

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 27 19:58:35 EDT 2007

It requires some good modeling skills in wood.  The 'carved wooden hull' in
those models was relatively rough hewn.  You would also need to get more
references.  If I remember right, you will also have to do some work on the
masts -- they are provided as dowel pieces and would need bands on the
lower and some taper on the t'gallent and royal masts.

That said, a lot of very good models have been made from them, and there
are many modelers who start from a block of wood to make the same type of
hull, themselves.  Think of it as a good basis -- kinda sorta like a
vacuform aircraft in the level of personal skilled work to do.

Mark Shannon
shingend at ix.netcom.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
3AIT&viewitem=&item=170104791774&rd=1&rd=1

> Has anyone here ever build one of these old Scientific ships? How do they
> compare to say, the big Revell Constitution or Cutty Sark? What did these
> kits retail for way back when, and what do you think a fair price would
be
> for one today? I'd like to get something in my cheapskate $30 to $40
range,
> of course, but I won't even bother bidding if this is a kit that
typically
> sells for a lot more.
> And I did see a lot of other interesting tall ship models on ebay that
I'd
> consider as well if anyone has a recomendation. On the assumption that
this
> might be the last tall ship model I ever build, I'd like to build
something
> worth the effort so I'm not too interested in the smaller scale ship
models
> out there. And I'm not commited to any particular medium either, though I
am
> set up more for plastic than wood.
> Help!
> E.

> Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft
Office