[WWI] First Impressions: Rodent Be12b build.

Christopher Malany cmm-saj at snet.net
Fri Apr 27 08:20:55 EDT 2007

Ernest Thomas observed:  "This is an ugly airplane."

Actually, the only part of the machine that isn't -
the forward fuselage - looks like an S.E.5a.  The rest
of the B.E.12b reminds me of a classic exchange
attributed to Winston Churchill:  Churchill, much the
worse for drink, was accosted outside of his club by a
woman who scolded:  "You, sir, are very drunk!"
Churchill replied:  "True, madam.  And you are very
ugly.  The crucial difference between us is that
tomorrow morning I'll be quite sober, but you'll still
be very, very ugly!"  Why someone decided to devote a
perfectly good motor to the B.E. single-seat airframe,
rather than build another S.E.5a, remains one of the
Great War's unsolved mysteries.

> I also forgot to mention that one of my LG struts is
> broken on the sprue.

My kit has the same problem; the ends of the struts
are too delicate, and they stick out of the tree at an
angle, making breakage likely.  I'm going to try
repairing/reinforcing the broken part with wire first,
before ordering a replacement, which is going to be
just as flimsy.

Notwithstanding this, Roden's B.E.12b is beautifully
detailed, and the machine itself takes on a certain
funky charm, particularly if you look at it long
enough and haven't taken your medications.

- Chris Malany