[WWI] laminating propellors

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 06:08:15 EDT 2007

I cannot vouch for the truth, but I heard that CA was devised during the Vietnam war to stick together broken soldiers. Being somewhat clumsy, if this is true, I am definate proof. That being the case, I cannot imagine that they would allow it if it had had any harmful side-effects. Still, use common sense; make sure you are in a well ventilated place.

Michael Kendix <mkendix at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Not quite certain what you're saying. I presented 3 possible solutions.

CA's not a new chemical - in fact it was used in Vietnam, as was Agent
Orange, and I couldn't find a study demonstrating organ damage etc. due to
long term effects of CA. Nobody has a real incentive to protect its
reputation since it's way out of patent. Like I said, use it in limited
amounts and take precautions.

Of course, evidence has suggested Agent Orange has harmful effects. However:

1. This is not true of CA to the same extent.
2. Nobody uses Agent Orange in modeling (I think).

Limited use of CA in a well-ventilated hasn't been shown to be harmful. If
you have a reaction to it, stop using it.

Michael

>From: "Stephen Auslender"
>Subject: Re: [WWI] laminating propellors
>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:18:26 -0400
>
>Michael,
>I am not saying you should live in a bubble.
>But I still say one should use a whole lot of protection when using these
>new chemicals.
>Look at Agent Orange, for example. The physical problems from exposure to
>that chemical are coming out now. Lots of bad effects. I will not go into
>the details but they are well documented.
>Sure I trust the assurances of the large corporations and institutions,
>just like I trust the assurances of the tobacco companies.
>Use the CA and other chemicals.
>I do.
>But protect yourself.
>Stephen
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Kendix"
>Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:15 PM
>Subject: Re: [WWI] laminating propellors
>

>>>From: "Stephen Auslender"
>>>
>>>Question to all, How many years do you think this constant use of CA will
>>>take off your life?
>>
>>Probably not that many, if any. I found no evidence on adverse impacts of
>>long-term exposure. And we're talking about modelers here who are using
>>this stuff for maybe a couple of hours a week.
>>
>>>I work with all sorts of resins, polyesters, epoxies, glues (like CA)
>>>because I am a sculptor.
>>
>>That stuff can be harmful.
>>
>>>In warm weather I work outdoors - with a face mask that has two filters
>>>on the sides (not that silly painter's mask that does nothing but lighten
>>>your wallet).
>>
>>Right - full respirator.
>>
>>>Well, I started modeling at age 4 (during WW2) and began painting,
>>>indoors, with the old paints and glues and I now have a problem with
>>>shortness of breath. I wonder why?
>>
>>Well, it's hard to say because it's not a controlled experiment
>>
>>I know some folks have a bad time with CA but there are at least 3
>>possible solutions:
>>
>>1. Ventilation and maybe wear a respirator.
>>2. Odorless CA
>>3. Limit use
>>
>>Note also, that CA was used early on with a medical purpose. In the
>>Vietnam War, they used it to seal lacerated organs - it's hard to stich a
>>liver or kidney. The results were first rate. Prolonged exposure effects
>>are hard to measure though.
>>
>>If it makes you sick, don't do it and try to not use it too much.
>>Otherwise, live your life in a plastic bubble without alcohol, tobacco,
>>knives, red meat, running with scissors etc., etc.
>>
>>Michael

>>The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian.
>>http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.