[WWI] ANZAC Day 2007

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 05:59:01 EDT 2007

The South African equivalent will be Dellville Wood
  Peter Liddle:
  "[T]he South African Brigade had fought steadfastly under such appalling and prolonged circumstances that in the grim litany of the Somme's savagery of sustained attack and counter-attack, Delville Wood stands unenviably pre-eminent."

"David C. Fletcher" <dcf at mars.ark.com> wrote:

Steve Cox wrote:

>I was at Vimy Ridge last month, and also at Thiepval, following in my
>grandfather¹s footsteps. When you see for real the trenches, even though
>they are softened by the passing of 90 years, you begin to realise what
>heroes the troops were.

I'm a firm believer that every Canadian should visit Vimy Ridge - I have
done so several times. One of the most memorable was when I flew over
it in my 'ot' aircraft and saw the pock-marked ground from the air - it
looks like an egg carton!

Dave Fletcher