[WWI] laminating propellors

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 25 08:05:08 EDT 2007

Neil:
> Yes, I do saturate the whole prop, I always soak wood in CA
> because I think it helps to stop splintering. I'm allergic to
> CA, so in a way I'd like to stop doing it if it's
> unnecessary. Harry Woodman suggested wood glue, so you're in
> good company, Richard Branson too, I'm impressed! /Neil

Not a bad idea Neil, I may give that a go as I do sometimes get a bit of
splintering on the fine trailing edges. I use thinned brown paint for a
stain and I like the way the raw wood soaks it up so the CA method may not
be for me.

Perhaps there's a thin resin or some other kind of glue you could use that
wouldn't cause you to break out in a rash?!

Cheers,
Andy

P.S. I was only kidding about the Richard Branson part - I suppose it's just
a matter of time before I receive a "Cease & Desist" order from his
solicitors...!