[WWI] Rivets

Stephen Auslender auslend at snet.net
Tue Apr 24 09:41:50 EDT 2007

Hi y'all,
This discussion on making rivets has reminded me that one of the factors in
making models is the technique. Not only do we, as individuals, have
preferences in the types of models we make, and the materials which we use
to make them, but the very techniques we choose are personal choices.
I hate the idea of cutting off little pieces of plastic and gluing them in
place. The very idea of depositing drops of glue makes me shudder. But the
act of drilling holes on a drill press and inserting pins gives me a tactile
and physical pleasure. We are all different and we have our own preferences
in just about every aspect of our hobbies.
We do not have much choice, at times, at our jobs so we adapt and cope.  But
this is a hobby and is meant to give us some pleasure and relaxation so we
do make the choices that suit ourselves.
The good thing about an open forum like this is we can get a variety of
different techniques offered up and then we can choose what suits us as
individuals.
The next time my wife wants me to go to the fabric shop with her I'll take
my micrometer and measure the heads of the straight pins they offer there.
Good thing I work in the larger scales as there aren't too many saucer sized
rivets on WW1 tanks.
Stephen