[WWI] laminating propellors

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Tue Apr 24 09:36:24 EDT 2007

>No. But as mentioned, tracing the outlines first with a sharp
watercolour
>pencil helps a lot. Neil Crawford carves his own propellers making
>laminations of wood veneer, and he says it's easier than painting the
>plastic ones and they look more realistic. I still have to try that.

I wasn't going to suggest that for a change, but since you have done,
well it is an alternative, if you don't like painting.
If it's easier, depends on how you look at the problem, since I much
prefer carving wood to painting, it's more fun, thus easier, but if
I was doing it for a living, I'd paint lines for sure!
More realistic is also in the eyes of the beholder, my wooden ones
are more realistic than my painted ones, but some people think the
grain is too big, which is an opinion I respect, but don't totally
agree with. Since I changed paint schemes on my latest Spad, I found
I had carved the wrong propeller, this one doesn't have a Chauviere,
so I will have to do a new one, and I'm so sick that I'm looking forward

to it.
/Neil