[WWI] laminating propellors

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Tue Apr 24 09:26:49 EDT 2007

Graham!
>  Anyone got any tips on how to paint laminations on propellors when you
> have
>  a shaky hand?

No. But as mentioned, tracing the outlines first with a sharp watercolour
pencil helps a lot. Neil Crawford carves his own propellers making
laminations of wood veneer, and he says it's easier than painting the
plastic ones and they look more realistic. I still have to try that.

> I can't seem to get the lines straight and the idea of masking
>  a prop is daunting and fiddly.

The thing is that the only straight lines you'll se are around the propeller
hub sides. The blades themselves have a patern that follow the complex
curves of each blade, a sort of elongated ellipses with axles that doesn't
necessarily follow the centre line of the propeller shape.
D.