[WWI] Thank you, Mike

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 03:59:03 EDT 2007

To each their own!
  That is the beauty of this hobby, so many different and colourful characters.
  And grouches

Joel Christy <jbarchristy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
  Ha ha ha, hee hee hee ho ho ho ha ha hee hee hee ho ho ho!!! ;-)

Cheers,

Joel

Shane Weier
wrote:
Stephen says:

>Ah, at last, another modeler who does not have the attitude that the
>purpose of modeling is to stuff all the detail possible into a model.

By inference of the rest of the post, superdetailing is *bad*

>Today's fad, you ask?
>Its the
>stuff-every-detail-one-can-into-the-model-so-you-can-take-home-a-cheap-plastic-trophy->from-the-next-IPMS-contest

By experience, the attitude of someone who never entered an IPMS contest in
his life, or needs a crutch to support a decision not to bother, rather than
just saying "I couldn't be bothered"

In many years of model contest entry and judging - not just IPMS - I've
rarely seen a winner that on becuase of stuffed in detail, rather than
impeccable modelling.

>Second, it has led to a situation where we get a bunch of modelers who
>cannot scratch build a flat panel, but just sit and whine for someone to
>market an add-on kit so they can glue it in place to spiff up their model
>and maybe win a contest somewhere.

...followed by an insult to modellers who get enjoyment from adding
aftermarket to their models.

>It has led to the situation where a guy buys a kit for $50 to $100 and then
>buys another $100 to $200 worth of details that were created by some
>company like Edouard. And what do we have? We get guys who assemble all
>these expensive parts to make a model.

This is bad, how?

>Hey, nothing wrong with that. Its a hobby and meant for fun and amusement
>and some pleasure.

Indeed. So it *isn't* bad? There's a relief then.

>But we should all keep in mind the fact that all it is is a hobby. Lighten
>up, and enjoy it for what ever it is that you want to get out of it.

So true. In fact, it'd be nice to accept that people who obsess about
details are as entitled to their own fun as those who "lighten up", and
don't obsess

>Thank you Mike for revealing the fact that you are an individual and have
>your own agenda and do not slavishly follow the current fad.

Mike *is* an individual.

So is the chap who "
stuffs-every-detail-one-can-into-the-model-so-you-can-take-home-a-cheap-plastic-trophy->from-the-next-IPMS-contest"

Of course, if he's enjoying himself it doesn't matter that it's most
unlikely to improv his chances of winning.

Now, what **wasn't* said here, but *was* said by you on the Hyperscale forum
when made the identical post is:

>I do not apologize for being that way because I laugh at myself much more
>than I laugh at others. >But, although I will defend the right of all of us
>to enjoy our hobby any way we do I will also laugh >at how seriously we
>take these same activities.
>
>So model on guys, enjoy what you do and do not concern yourself about what
>anyone has to say >about your activities. But, if you hear some muted
>laughter in the background, its probably me.

Laugh at yourself all you like. That's healthy and offends no-one.

Feel free to laugh at me when I pursue my hobby in my way too. But then,
don't expect me to like being an object of your ridicule.

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quanvis humile, praeclarum

Advertisement: Silverchair: Young Modern – listen to full tracks plus win
gig tickets!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=772&referral=competitionpage&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/silverchair