[WWI] Thank you, Mike

Stephen Auslender auslend at snet.net
Sun Apr 22 07:55:06 EDT 2007

"Quick and easy. I also don't worry about detailing, or much else. A little
bit of research to get me excited, but no worrying about any kit
inaccuracies, etc. Basic builds that allow me to experiment with colors,
paint and the airbrush. Mike Muth"

Ah, at last, another modeler who does not have the attitude that the purpose
of modeling is to stuff all the detail possible into a model. I've been in
modeling since 1942 and have watched the development of the hobby from
carving models out of blocks of wood and/or building models up from stick
and tissue kits, through the introduction of "box scale" plastic models of
eight pieces of plastic where you shake the box and out pops a completed
model, through other trends up to today's current fad.
Today's fad, you ask?
Its the
stuff-every-detail-one-can-into-the-model-so-you-can-take-home-a-cheap-plastic-trophy-from-the-next-IPMS-contest
fad.
Interesting endeavor, but first, it does not appeal to everybody in
modeling. There are plenty of people who just like to build models for the
fun of it, without worrying about entering a contest somewhere.
Second, it has led to a situation where we get a bunch of modelers who
cannot scratch build a flat panel, but just sit and whine for someone to
market an add-on kit so they can glue it in place to spiff up their model
and maybe win a contest somewhere. It has led to the situation where a guy
buys a kit for $50 to $100 and then buys another $100 to $200 worth of
details that were created by some company like Edouard. And what do we have?
We get guys who assemble all these expensive parts to make a model.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. Its a hobby and meant for fun and amusement
and some pleasure.
Some people can make a model out of raw material, like blocks of wood or
sheets of plastic. Others buy the parts ready made and glue them together to
make their models. I know one guy who bought a bunch of the same kit and
quickly assembled them right out of the box, not even bothering to sand down
the seam lines, so he could paint them to represent an entire squadron at a
specific moment in time during WW2. I know another guy who makes the models
without any extra detail so he can paint them in the various camouflage and
marking schemes. Everyone has fun building the models their own way and each
way is correct because a hobby is a personal thing, meant to serve the needs
of the individual who is involved in it.
I am sure we all know guys who get their jollies by taking one set of
criteria as god'struth and criticizing everyone else in the hobby who do not
meet these criteria ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Yes, these people are annoying
but if you step back you can see that they are also very amusing.
But we should all keep in mind the fact that all it is is a hobby. Lighten
up, and enjoy it for what ever it is that you want to get out of it.
Thank you Mike for revealing the fact that you are an individual and have
your own agenda and do not slavishly follow the current fad.
Stephen Auslender