[WWI] Why to stick in one scale, WAS: Added:Albatros D.III

Rick Geisler ragfokker at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 22:09:07 EDT 2007

Matt:

>Like others, I started actually in 1/48th, building Monogram kits - and
>trying to make sure all the moveable parts worked.  The fun was the
>Dauntless and the drop-bomb...

That was my first serious( sort of) build!

>..but I digress.  Then when I returned to the hobby after schools and
>joining the military, I was in a hobby shop and saw the Airfix WW1
>kits.  The rest, they say, is history.

I used to walk accross the street and get Airfix/Craftmaster kits for $.29
ea.! The DR1, Albatros, and IIRC, the Brisfit. It was  the Revelle 1/72nd
kits that initially gave me the WW1 bug. I built them all in multiples.
Later I found the Airfix 2 seaters such as the DH4. I also found the Aurora
kits and built those in large numbers! Thus my intro to @1/48th WW1. Funny
that we all talk about the lack of WW1 subjects in 1/48th untill the 90s',
but the truth is, other than Monogram and a few others there were no real
good  WW1 part 2 kits around untill the late 80s' in 1/48th.

>I stay with one scale for the effect of showing one item next to
>another to get their relative sizes in comparison with each other.

My preference has become 1/48th for the same reason, show the basic
relationship of plane to plane! I do "fool around" with other scales when
the fit takes me!
Rick G.