[WWI] Answer to question

Clarence Wentzel cewentzel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 10:37:47 EDT 2007

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:37:55 -0700
From: <dr-i.417.17 at cox.net>
Subject: Re: [WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

> A!
> > On a somewhat related (and definitely OT) note, perhaps you
can
answer
> > this one: How did a 'machine turned' finish prevent
corrosion,
assuming
> > that was its purpose? I've always wondered that.

As soon as I can break free for an hour or two, I intend to go to our
old OLD real live paper book library here at the FAA Center and see if
there is a definitive work on the topic

My undrstanding is that the "Machine Turned" finish was a purely decorative process.  Typically, large aluminum panels were formed using a hammer and a form to shape the part.
When the shaping was finished, the surface appearance contained lots of bumps.  The machine turning cleaned up the surface.

Clare

Visit "Clare's Corner" at;http://www.geocities.com/cewentzel/