[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Wed Apr 18 11:35:16 EDT 2007

A!
> On a somewhat related (and definitely OT) note, perhaps you can answer
> this one: How did a 'machine turned' finish prevent corrosion, assuming
> that was its purpose? I've always wondered that.

I think it also served to hide imperfections (many of those cowls were
hand-formed over wood patterns by skilled craftsmen) and also to relieve
surface tension of the metal sheet and avoid fractures and fatigue cracks
(something not so well understood at the time).
Some cowls were made by a different method, by a centrifugal type of machine
over a "female" mold, IIRC
D.