[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Wed Apr 18 10:56:31 EDT 2007

Douglas!
> One thought on ww2 aircraft; the movement of the pilot in the cockpit, and
> the maintenance crew would surely have removed the oxide from the
> aluminium, therefore they were painted as protection.

You can't take it away easily! Or else, after a vigorous wash, the pans
would corrode too!

>  Then again, it could simply be that bare aluminium would glint in the
> sun, possibly blinding the pilot during
> crucial stages of the dogfight or affecting his or her concentration.

That's a likely reason, but also as Mr. T said, a techincal solution to
troubles of alloys used in aviation.
besides, many pilots spent valuable time looking themselves in the mirror
surfaces and thinking "Does this googles made me look so funny?"
D.