[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 18 10:32:48 EDT 2007

Shane:
> How does this fit in with the change to unpainted aluminium on a wide
> variety of aircarft of both sides toward the end of the war?  Was early war
> aluminium prone to corrosion and late war aluminium not?

Good point, though I wager the cockpits of those aircraft were still painted! At least in the case of allied aircraft the external camouflage was no longer necessary because they held air superiority, and when you're talking about coating the outside of an entire aircraft then yes, there would be a weight benefit. With the losing sides it was more a case of insufficient supply and (possibly) the realisation that the war was lost, paint or no paint!

On a somewhat related (and definitely OT) note, perhaps you can answer this one: How did a 'machine turned' finish prevent corrosion, assuming that was its purpose? I've always wondered that.

Andy