[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Ivan Carlos Ruchesi ivruc at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Apr 18 09:05:26 EDT 2007

>Yes, you are quite correct, the reference was to aluminium and not >internal fittings in general. However, if it was the case that there was >no benefit to coating aluminium then surely they changed their minds >about this before the second great unpleasantness? Offhand, I can't >think of any bare metal cockpits from WWII, or even the early >thirties. Japanese aircraft for instance corroded very badly and >relatively quickly even though they were constructed of >duraluminium. Even in the harsh environment of the Pacific theatre >the material allied aircraft were constructed from fared far better.

>And I still maintain that the added weight of coating a few bits of >metal in OT aircraft would be so small as to be completely >insignificant.

>Andy

  Like aluminium, several metals produce a thin oxide layer on their surfaces to protect themselves from a more profound corrosion, e.g. copper, brass, bronze, zinc, etc, this phenomen being called "pasivacion" in Spanish. This is what allow brass ship propellers to last a long time working in salt water. The problem arises, like in canned food,  when the surface layer is punctuated, then the bare metal is quickly corroded by oxigen. Perhaps the paint coatings are intended to protect that oxide layer...

  Ivan