[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:56:15 EDT 2007

Andy

>Yes, you are quite correct, the reference was to aluminium and not internal
>fittings in general. However, if it was the case that there was no benefit
>to coating aluminium then surely they changed their minds about this before
>the second great unpleasantness? Offhand, I can't think of >any bare metal
>cockpits from WWII, or even the early thirties.

(I cant't think of any flying machine built after 1918, on principle)

Reduction of reflections?  On *naval* aircraft corrosion is a problem. Ditto
any aircraft based on a small tropical island. Salt air will play merry
hell, made worse because aluminium is an excellent conductor and galvanic
corrosion an issue where fasteners and other fittings are dissimilar metals.

>Japanese aircraft for instance corroded very badly and relatively quickly
>even though they were constructed of duraluminium. Even in the harsh
>environment of the Pacific theatre the material allied aircraft were
>constructed from fared far better.

True, though the sheet used in allied aircarft was thicker and *possibly* of
a different composition.

How does this fit in with the change to unpainted aluminium on a wide
variety of aircarft of both sides toward the end of the war?  Was early war
aluminium prone to corrosion and late war aluminium not?

>And I still maintain that the added weight of coating a few bits of metal
>in OT aircraft would be so small as to be completely insignificant.

Thank God. Back to OT.   And I maintain that while that may be so *why* do
it if there's no real protective benefit and it adds some penalty in time,
money, material or (however trivial) weight?

Shane

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

        Quidvis recte factum,
   quanvis humile, praeclarum