[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 18 07:33:57 EDT 2007

Shane:
> *Aluminium* (which was the subject) doesn't corrode enough to matter for
> decades unless you go dipping it in acid.  There *no* benefit in coating it
> to prevent corrosion.  I refer you to an aluminium saucepan or baking pan. .

Yes, you are quite correct, the reference was to aluminium and not internal fittings in general. However, if it was the case that there was no benefit to coating aluminium then surely they changed their minds about this before the second great unpleasantness? Offhand, I can't think of any bare metal cockpits from WWII, or even the early thirties. Japanese aircraft for instance corroded very badly and relatively quickly even though they were constructed of duraluminium. Even in the harsh environment of the Pacific theatre the material allied aircraft were constructed from fared far better.

And I still maintain that the added weight of coating a few bits of metal in OT aircraft would be so small as to be completely insignificant.

Andy