[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 07:22:36 EDT 2007

I know that steel was used in the structure, but didn't realise that aluminium alloys were so prevalent, and especially in the engines.

  I don't think there can ever be anything such as a neutral country, especially close to a war zone. Personally the best example of "neutrality" are the German fighting aircarft, some of the most famous were designed by a "neutral" Dutchman. In all fairness he did offer them to the allies first. Imagine that, an allied Fokker DVII. (Excluding postwar and captured example)

Diego Fernetti <dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar> wrote:
  Douglas!
> Were any allied aircraft that advanced

Perhaps the airplane structures were more conventional, generally speaking,
but in the USA some manufacturers were starting to experiment with steel to
make an airplane (and it flew, even if post 1918).
On the allied side, there was a great development in the design of engines,
being the Hispano-Suiza one of the best "discoveries" that allied aircraft
manufacturers made. Funny, it was an engine invented by a Swiss engineer and
first produced in Spain, both neutral countries!
Which speaks a load about neutrality in wars.
D.